Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Occupy Indy

The Occupy movement is a lot of things. Strong. Well-intentioned. And a bit unorganized. But at it's heart it is meant to draw attention to the economic inequality that is growing is the United States and globally. 

Here in Indy, it has dwindled to a few hardcore people, most well-seasoned in activist activities. The flash mob mentality that made it the cool thing to do for a couple of weekends have faded. But that doesn't mean it was a failure. 

I did this piece on the steps of the statehouse. In the yard behind is the remnants of the occupiers, the few hardcore. I walked around, but nobody really engaged me. 


I've been trying to make work that is interpretable. I want to speak on issues without preaching my perspective. I believe it is the artist's job to ask questions, the viewers job is to answer them...


Once I started drawing I had people coming up to watch and ask about the work. There were occupiers (all but one were smoking big-tobacco--a whole 'nother issue), but also a good number of suits who had positive commentary as well. It's all about dialogue...

'

It's actually rather jarring, when you break it down, how much the occupy movement and the tea party movement have in common. Neither is really any kind of answer, and both are being swallowed up by our smothering two party system.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home